Skip to main content

The Bitter Milk

Milk Splash Milk Cherry Spoon Spray Fallin

Childhood is considered the best part of one’s life. It is during such a period where we learn and stick to certain good and bad habits. The memories of such moments that flash in our minds always bring smiles on our faces. One of such bad habit which I never outgrew out of was milk sipping. Show me a millennial who never loved milk and I would show you my 101 year old granny who is a social media addict. The act of milk sipping was a timely process. Usually in the mornings when mother made breakfast which needed milk, I would dream of how to get a raw taste of the remaining contents on my tongue.
How I would yearn to take a trip to the refrigerator and take a sip. As I grew up I loathed all milk based breakfast and put a break on that habit. As I somewhat realize breakfast shouldn't always be beverage or cereal based but the more Ghanaian type especially Waakye. Fast forward to 16th February, 2018 after returning home from work and decided to get some cold water to quench my thirst. I chanced upon some evaporated milk from three days back in the refrigerator. Like the same, an old dog always has some tricks. I shook the tin and was surprised it still had some contents. Thus I poured just a little in my right palm to make sure it was hadn't gone bad. To my utmost shock, it looked creamy and fresh like it had just been opened. I took a sip and the taste teleported me to 2001 when I was just eight years and had to take Chloroquine as medication for a bout of malaria. I never in all my life imagined or tasted such a bitter milk. all i knew was that milk was sweet. I immediately spit it out and poured it again into my palms just to make sure and the color was just the same as creamy and fresh. It was at that moment that it dawned on me that sometimes as humans, we judge people by their appearance yet they prove otherwise. we make friends, form close relationship and expect good things yet we end up disappointed.  All you have to do is to get closer and see the real and inner soul which could reflect as ugly or beautiful as seen. Hopefully this experience would put to death my milk sipping habit.

P.S. Never judge milk by its color (wink)






Comments

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Recommended For You

I Cut My Hair Because I Was Heartbroken and Depressed.

Growing up, it was the norm to keep your Afro textured hair (commonly known as natural hair) growing to a volume so you add hair relaxers to make it easy to comb and style. Keeping your hair natural wasn't really accepted until recently when the ‘am a natural girl’ wave blew over and young girls began to embrace their hair type. I for one never wanted to add chemicals or even do braids or add hair extensions. Though I would admire ladies rocking their hair styles my wish was to keep a low cut hair.  But the words of my big sister stuck with me on that day; right after completing high school about five years ago, I asked her if it was really necessary to keep my hair, she told me that soon I would be entering the University and with my low cut, my colleagues would regard me as a child and might not respect me or will risk not getting a boyfriend. Well that reason was a big deal to me so I discarded my  idea of keeping a low cut hair and jumped onto the wagon of ‘perpetual su

The Ga Kenkey Myth

If you are a Ghanaian and not a Ga, you might have heard this statement  ‘eat more Ga kenkey if you want to learn how to speak Ga”.   I was about 8 years old when I heard this statement. That was the time my family had just relocated to Accra from Offinso.  We happened to find ourselves in one of the Ga speaking communities, and as newcomers to the community, we always had to battle with the language whether in school, church, asking for direction or even buying something on the streets. As a little child, I needed to keep up with my new friends since I always got lost in a lovely conversation on our way to or from school.  Whenever there  was an open conversation, the only way of telling was by their responses, gesticulations of laughter or anger, nods, and shrugs. It was so distressing, and I needed a way out, but guess what?  I didn’t want to ask them to teach me. I sought to portray an attitude of a smart girl and secretly learn the language and surprise them. As

Fulfilling A Long Time Wish In A New Year

4 th January, 2018 This is the fourth day in the New Year and it’s a Thursday and am at work sitting behind my laptop and typing just to talk about my expectations. It has always been a culture or maybe a tradition to go to church on new year’s eve in Ghana, I wonder if it so across the world because all I see in movies is people partying the night away and lighting fireworks when the new-year arrives. As a child I never had any concerns about New Year’s Eve but then as am an adult now  I think we over-emphasize and over prioritize it. I recall one time our parents had to leave my two siblings; one older and one younger than I to Kumasi in the care of our older cousin.On New Year’s Eve I expected her to take us to church but hey she said we were staying at home. I couldn't believe my ears because this had become the tradition every year and here she was saying we couldn't go. Well I was a teenage then so i  had to no option than to sleep. After spending the night on my s

Never Report Your Abusive Husband to The Police

I  have never been married but I am hoping to be a wif e someday. I believe in love and the union of marriage as an everlasting journey with its sweet and sour moments but when that sour ness b ecome s a bitter tree of a buse , one must walk out.  Today’s post is a bout a man I had a lengthy c onversation with  on m y way home from the Accra Mall, a fter a long day of making sales during the Social Media Week.  It started with Ghc2 The conversa tion began when the ‘mate ʼ ( bus conductor) asked for his fare and he se arched for his money but eventually, couldn’t find it. I glanced at him and looked out of the window to enj oy the cool breeze of the wind on my face. (*trying to mind my business * ) “I had a GH Cedis 2 note in my hand before I boarded this bus but I’m sure I might have lost it thinking it was rubbish” ….. he blurted out.... I turned to face him and grinned with a sigh. He begun ranting about how hard the economy had become but still